Procurement & Vendor Services FAQs

How do I purchase something?

  1. Meet with your Fiscal Partner to discuss funding
  2. Clearly define your need
  3. Complete the eReq (electronic requisition)
  4. Vendor selection may involve a solicitation process or the use of an existing Enterprise Agreement
  5. Purchasing agents will assist you in this process
  6. Learn more attending Procurement 101 training

What are some common procurement terms?
  • Buyer: Purchasing agent
  • CMS: Contract Management System for state agencies, used to report ratings for contractors
  • Compliance Officer: Assists PM with contract management
  • Contract Administrator: Manages contract negotiation, development, signing and legal interpretation
  • Contractor: Vendor who has been awarded a solicitation and has a purchase order/contract
  • Discretionary Funding: Budget that is established without a pre-defined purpose; not the same as discretionary purchase
  • Discretionary Purchase: Is a small dollar, one time purchase (used for goods less than $10,000 or services less than $25,000). A solicitation may not be required; not the same as discretionary funding.
  • EA (Enterprise Agreement): An agreement for the purchase of IT or for the purchases of goods or services related to IT that the Office (OIT) enters into for the benefit of the state and that is created in furtherance of the Office’s requirements or responsibilities
  • eReq: Electronic Requisition
  • IFB (Invitation for Bid): Used when the need can be clearly defined
  • IT: Information Technology
  • Office: Governor’s Office of Information Technology (OIT)
  • PM (Program Manager): Individual responsible for managing, monitoring and reporting on one or more contracts
  • PA: Purchasing Agent or buyer
  • RFP (Request for Proposal): Used when the need can not be clearly defined and the state is requesting the vendor community to propose solutions
  • SOW (Statement or Scope of Work): Used to evaluate proposals and is the basis for the contract milestones and deliverables. The Program Manager is responsible for developing a proper Scope of Work.
  • Sourcing Options: Click here for sourcing options for goods and services (not construction)
  • Vendor: Entity who sells products or services; not a contractor
  • VSS (Vendor Self Service): Electronic bidding system from the State of Colorado's financial system (CORE) 

How do I contact Procurement & Vendor Services?

If we are experiencing difficulties understanding the contract, terms and conditions or service level agreement, who do I reach out to for assistance and remediation if necessary?

Contracts & Compliance: The first point of contact is oit_​ Please email with some basic information, contract number (CMS number), vendor name and your contact information.